Sunday, October 13, 2013

30 Day Book Challenge (Day 5 through 10)




Five more condensed days of our lovely book challenge.


Day 5 - A Book That Makes Me Happy:

Anne of the Island, Lucy Maud Montgomery


In which my chidhood book BFF realizes her love of my childhood book boyfriend.  It has been many years, but in mapping out this 30 day challenge, I'll have to revisit our young heroine's enjoyable time at college.  


Day Six - A Book That Makes Me Sad:  

Poisonwood Bible, Barbara Kingsolver



It has been many years since I have read this novel, but I still recall the frustration I felt for the father of this family.  Such loss in this story, and such blind determination.  

Day Seven - A Book That Makes Me Laugh

Tangled, by Emma Chase



I started to read this on a family vacation on my kindle, and it was surprisingly the funniest book I have read in a very long time.  Being inside this successful players head was not only insanely funny, but a refreshing take the high-power romance novels out there.  The problem with laughing out loud with this book, is you have to explain that you are reading a tawdry romance novel if you do.  

Day Eight - Most Overrated Book

Dune, By Frank Hebert



I'm just going to pronounce, that I am not a 15 year old dice roll playing gamer, so I think that may be the biggest obstacle in why I couldn't relate.   I did however, feel it my duty as a lover of the fantasy and all things paranormal to read this novel.  Now I understand what my friend was muttering about his mind being a mentat, but I still don't care.  

Day Nine - 

A Book I Thought I Wouldn't Like But Ended Up Loving:

A Hunger like No Other (Immortals After Dark #2), Kresley Cole


First off, look at this cover, and for that matter, the covers of the remaining books in the series.  They look ridiculous.  I feel like professor lupin is standing next to me, and I am trying to get rid of a bogart.  I'm not necessarily referring to the book itself, but rather the series.  I absolutely love this series.  Here's the clincher - Kresley Cole can write!  
Unlike most romance novels that trades perspectives between the male and female characters, she actually doesn't mess it up.    There are many levels to this paranormal romance series that have kept me entertained for years.  Ignore the covers, you may actually enjoy them.  

Day 10 - A Book That Reminds Me of Home

How Six Found Chrismas, by Trina Schart Hyman


My mother has had this book sitting out on a side table or coffee table around the holidays, ever since I can remember.  It is the sweetest story about how six unlikely companions find something special and deem it is Christmas.  This last year, my mother actually sat me down and read it to my 34 year old self.  We both cried, of course.  I have yet to see this book for sale as an adult, but if I did see it, I would surely be reminded of home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment